Dear GVC SHRM Members,
As we get ready to end the year I wanted to take some time to look back over not only this year but also the past few years. For all the good things the Genesee Valley Chapter of SHRM (GVC SHRM) does the one thing it needs to do better is to publicize and share the work it does. The reason for that is so you, our members, have an even greater understanding of the incredible organization you have chosen to be a part of.
There are 500 members in our local chapter and we are growing. This would not be possible if we were not providing you with benefits of value. SHRM national and we, your local chapter, are committed to continuing to help support you in the human resources profession.
GVC SHRM is governed by an extraordinary Board of Directors. It is through their leadership that the Chapter has been able to support its membership and achieve the success it has. GVC SHRM has received recognition from SHRM national for its ongoing support of the SHRM Foundation. Additionally GVC SHRM has consistently been recognized as a SHAPE Excel award recipient, SHRM Membership Star, SHRM Learning System Champion, and Preferred Provider for Certified Educational Programs.
The following is a short list of the Chapter's accomplishments and involvements for 2016 and the past few years. The complete list is much longer but due to space limitations here are some of the highlights.
- The Chapter moved to an online membership affiliation process
- In order to welcome new members, facilitate networking and help build connections the Chapter instituted a new member meet and greet event
- In ongoing support of students and members in transition they are able to attend programs and events at a reduced cost
- The Chapter supports the Volunteers of America Working Wardrobe by accepting donations of gently used work attire
- Over the past few years the Chapter has partnered with AARP
- The Chapter is doing more proactive fundraising for the SHRM Foundation
- in 2016 the Chapter began a local partnership with Junior Achievement
- The Chapter's Diversity Advisory Council has produced more than a half dozen great programs during the past few years
- the Chapter's Diversity Advisory Council has helped implement diversity initiatives for several organizations
- the Chapter has grown its social media presence and can be followed on Twitter (600+ followers), LinkedIn (500+ followers), and Facebook
- in 2016 the Chapter established a quarterly newsletter
- in order to help keep program fees low the Chapter secured a sponsor for every single program for 2016
- The Chapter has partnered with a great group of sponsors which members can utilize as a resource to help support their HR business needs
- The Chapter has regularly generated letter writing campaigns to legislators which the members can participate in
- When speaking with legislators the Chapter voices the concerns of its members
- In 2016 the Chapter arranged local senatorial office visits for Chapter members
- The Chapter continues its ongoing commitment to HR Certification through its certification preparation workshops held in the spring and fall
- In 2016 Chapter programs and events were approved for 28.5 recertification credits
- The GVC SHRM Board of Directors has made adjustments in operations and made investments in infrastructure to improve effectiveness and efficiency in performing the work of the Chapter
- Through the thoughtful planning and oversight of the GVC SHRM Board of Directors the Chapter is in a strong position to sustain support of its initiatives on behalf of the members
- By incorporating member suggestions and ideas 2016 had the highest program attendance in recent years
- The Chapter produced 3 large scale signature events for members in 2016
- In 2016 at the request of members and to help deal with key legislative changes the Chapter added 3 additional programs to an already full program schedule
- In 2016 the website was redesigned so that it is more appealing, easier to navigate, and mobile friendly
As a member you can look forward to GVC SHRM continuing to be proactive in the work it does on your behalf. Thank you for your ongoing support of the Chapter and for choosing GVC SHRM as your HR professional association of choice. Please share with us your thoughts and ideas so we can take those into account when planning and making decisions. We look forward to serving you in 2017.
Howard Cotton SHRM-SCP, SPHR
President, GVC SHRM